Sunday, January 27, 2008

Pruning time!

Here in the desert it is rose-pruning time. This year I am hard pruning several of my larger roses to make it easier to re-pot them, or move them to larger pots. I don't normally do this with my teas and chinas.

I am also trying an experiment with my beloved Bourbon roses. For years I have been following the advice to prune them as you would a hybrid tea. For Mme. Isaac Pereire and Mme. Ernst Calvat this has been fine. For the other two (Louise Odier, Mme. Pierre Oger), I have ended up with older canes that are just a mess, and not very productive. It is like the wood gets too hard to send new growth out. So this year I am pruning out many of these older canes and leaving the long, younger canes that are 1-2 years old, and pegging them. I hope this creates plants that I will love even more. Thank goodness they are all in pots so I can easily make room for the pegged canes. Pictures coming!

Here are some links to good information on pruning OGRs in a warm climate:

No comments: